Hi there, I’m Kayla!
I have been a Registered Nurse since 2012, specializing in Neonatal Intensive Care. I absolutely adore my teeny, tiny little patients and their families! I also spent a few years working as a Nurse Educator for MacEwan University and the University of Alberta in Maternal and Child Health.
It was a very rewarding experience to share my knowledge with the students and help guide and support them through their practical education. I even work alongside a few of them in the NICU now!
I am a mother to a 6 year old son and a big, fluffy fur baby. I am an avid gym goer, competitive powerlifter, aspiring photographer and spend the majority of my free time enjoying a very active lifestyle, both indoors and out.
Some of my favorite activities include snowboarding, camping and hiking. The mountains are definitely my happy place!
A little about me…
Throughout my career I have found myself becoming frustrated with the state of our healthcare system, and our reactive vs proactive approach to health. The same question always arose, “how could I help people avoid needing health care in the first place?” It quickly became very clear – our healthcare system, and our population in general, has lost sight of what health and wellness really means.
The pandemic also showed us exactly how broken our system is. As an RN it was extremely frustrating to see the misleading information provided to the public, the lack of action of our government in regards to preventative health (and not just on vaccines), and the inability to be open minded to alternative therapies. I feel very strongly that the focus needs to shift to educating people on how to take their health into their own hands and tap into the body’s innate ability to heal, and leave Western medicine for what it is truly intended for.
My career in nursing has been challenging and fulfilling, but over the years of working in the hospital I found myself feeling exhausted, burnt out and as a result, losing my passion for my work. I found it difficult to find a healthy work life balance which led to me feeling overwhelmed and constantly anxious. This in turn started to affect all areas of my life – my health, my relationships, my mental wellbeing and my happiness. I was running on fumes and I knew I needed to make changes.
I have also personally experienced metabolic, digestive and hormonal health issues, and over the years I have become extremely passionate about holistic health by implementing it in my own life. I am definitely one of those coaches who have walked the walk!
I have spent the majority of my life with a health focused mindset (thanks to my Mom) but my journey started in 2015 when I completed my first sports nutrition coaching certification. Working one-on-one with clients sparked my passion to help others achieve their goals in a more proactive way.
I’m extremely excited to work with The Holistic RN & Co. and take my career in a new direction!
- I thrive off living a life of adventure and make it a point to spend as much time as possible doing things that challenge me. Hiking, powerlifting, snowboarding, rock climbing, skydiving, camping, biking, running, literally anything. It is rare for me to say no to trying something new!
- I am a boy mom through and through. Whatever fun, messy, daring activities my son wants to try, I’m right there with him!
- I have been a fitness fanatic for as long as I can remember. Dance, track & field, CrossFit, yoga, bodybuilding, trail running, and now Powerlifting. I’ve dabbled in it all. I recently came 2nd in my category in the Western Canada Powerlifting Championship. I’m very excited to see where the sport takes me!
- I enjoy experimenting with recipes and finding healthier ways to enjoy our favorite, not-so-healthy foods. I believe eating should be an enjoyable, enriching experience full of foods we love while also nourishing and healing our bodies.
- I have a passion for photography and enjoy continuing to grow my skills. I especially love landscape photography but also enjoy capturing candid moments and trying to convey the emotions/feelings they elicit. A steaming hot cup of coffee on a rainy day, a person laughing at a funny story, warm sunshine beaming through a window, a smile from a stranger. All the little things that happen around us each day that make our lives magical.
- I absolutely LOVE music. I enjoy many different genres; from string quartets to heavy rock, and everything in between. That being said, I’m a country music fan at heart, and make it a priority to see my favorite artists in concert as often as I can!
I am currently completing my Health Coach certification through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. This course has opened my eyes to a whole new level of thinking and doing. Focusing on a bio individualistic approach to health and wellness has drastically changed how I approach my coaching practice. It is extremely important to me to meet my clients where they’re at, and help them discover sustainable solutions which turn into long term results.
For me, holistic health is a way of life. It is not just the food we eat, or the amount of exercise we get. It’s treating our bodies the way nature intended. It’s nutrition, activity, sleep, stress, the thoughts we think, the products we use, the people we surround ourselves with, and so much more. Holistic health is combining all the elements of the physical, emotional and psychological self to create a way of being that is conducive to good health, happiness and well being. My goal is to help other people find that balance, so they can feel their best and live their lives to the fullest.
As a health and wellness coach, my primary focus will be helping both women and men find balance in their life again. Think nutrition, sleep, hydration, stress management, self-care activities, mindset coaching & energy optimization, with an additional focus on digestive and hormonal health.
My programs are designed for those who feel as though they are working as hard as they can towards their goals, but still feel like something is missing. Whether you struggle with unpleasant symptoms, inability to reach or maintain your goals, or are generally just not feeling like yourself, it is my goal to help get to the root of the issue and bring balance back to the body.
I look forward to working with you on your health and wellness journey!
Find me here