Nachos hold a special place in my heart.
Truthfully, the way I ‘used’ to eat them when I was in high-school was most certainly NOT as healthy as they are now. But either way, I loved them.
There was just something so satisfying about the crunchy, cheezy combo- it really checked all the boxes for me as the ‘perfect’ snack.
Flash forward to now- can’t do dairy, can’t do gluten, prefer not to do animal meats- and the outcome is a lot different than it once was.
We’re in Nicaragua right now, and I’ll be honest, I am really missing home. Not just my friends and family, but the comforts of home too… like our favourite meals.
Thus, I got a heck of a craving for nachos down here- and luckily (thanks to a trip into the big city), I was able to find some quality nacho chips, plant-based bacon and the ingredients I needed to make my vegan cheese.
The result was heavenly and I am almost positive you’ll love it.
This recipe is:
- High protein
- Easy to make
- & Delicious
Plant Based Nacho's (GF)
- 1 giant bag tortilla chips
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 red peppers
- 2 green peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 2 chives
- 1 package vegan bacon (or coconut bacon)
- 1 double batch vegan cheddar cheese
STEP 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover your cooking trays with oven-safe parchment paper. Spread out the tortilla chips on top.
- When choosing a good tortilla chip, pay attention to the ingredients. It is best to purchase unsalted, and if they contain corn, try to get an organic or non-gmo certified brand.
- If you decide to broil, watch as the tortilla chips can burn fast.
- If you are in need of a nut-free cheese alternative, you can use this recipe from my cheezy pasta.